December 19, 2009

Welcome Kismet!

Kismet: Fate or Destiny in Turkish and Urdu.


I have been truly blessed this year and in more ways than one. I have my health and am very grateful to be alive. I have my wonderful friends and supportive family.

Today I wish to introduce you to Kismet. She is a 1.5 year old Bouvier des Flandres.
Loved by Lori and the wonderful people of Animatch Adoption Services in Montreal, Kismet is a wonderful Christmas present from my dear friends Dave and Liz. Blessings indeed!


Some background on Kismet. Kismet and her brother Orson were born in March of 2008 and turned in to Animatch at the age of 6 months. Kismet was adopted and lived on a horse farm outside of Montreal for a short time but was returned to Animatch again last February. She was going for the Animatch record of being at the dog rescue the longest when I happened to come across her profile one day last November.

Kismet has been in the excellent care of the staff at Animatch and foster families until this past week when she came into my life and was entrusted to me.


I truly thought it would be a long time before I had another dog again but this sweet girl just tugged at my heartstrings. It was fate and destiny I believe we came into each others lives at this time.


A now for Kismet a new forever home with me!



Kismet is the third Bouvier des Flandres I have adopted.


I cannot express the joy I feel in having Kismet in my life. Dog therapy is the best for this man! What a face!


The photo below just kills me ~ I have to share it! Kismet and Charlie (Dave and Liz's Poodle/Bichon cross) in the car on our way home to Toronto. They were both such good dogs in the car ride home and Charlie didn't mind if Kismet took up some of his bed.


Of course plenty of rest stops along the way for all the beasts to stretch their legs.


Toronto is certainly NOT the winter wonderland that is Montreal - but oh well. Home is home and happy to be here we are!

Press play to see a quick video clip of Kismet in the backyard.

video




Of course everything here is new and a curious young dog loves to explore, so off we set on new paths together.




Here is a wee video of Kismet, Charlie and I out for a recent walk at a nearby park.

video

A side effect of intensive Chemotherapy for me is peripheral nerve damage and I certainly feel it in my legs and hands. My physiotherapist recommended plenty of walking and having Kismet to walk certainly ensures I get my exercise! My concern a few months ago was that I would still be dependent on my walker and cane as winter approached and being housebound but I am happy to report I am mobile without these. Stamina is another thing all together. It's been like learning to walk all over again but I am so thankful that I can!






Also, Kismet will soon be reunited with her brother Orson as he was adopted by a loving family here in Toronto who contacted me a few days ago! What a small world. I can't wait to see how they will play together.
.



For Kismet's many friends and family at Animatch in Montreal, please know she is settling in amazingly well. No accidents in the house and she is quite content and calm.



We have lots of patience for our girl as she gets accustomed to new smells and sounds and a new home to explore. Last night was the first night where she slept on the floor next to my bed and a sound sleeper she is at that. She did not even stir last night as I got up for a restroom break. So rest assured that our girl feels secure and loved. Of course she is curious about the comfort level of all the human beds in the house and has tried everyone! Little sneak!


I am happy to rise early to rounds of kisses and excitement as we head out with Charlie on our morning walks. A Bouvier des Flandres is such an affectionate, loyal breed of dog. I just love Kismet to bits!


One last video clip of Kismet and I bonding at home. Excuse my effusive doggy talk but that's the way it is!

video

My heartfelt thanks to Lori and the Animatch team in Montreal for trusting me with the care of Kismet. I know she has a special place in your hearts and I will continue to update you on her life here in Toronto. Liz and David - thanks for spoiling me yet again!

Merry Christmas and all the best in 2010 my friends!




Myspace Comments

6 comments:

dds.3 said...

Awww, such a sweet gal. Both of you look sooo happy together. It truly is kismet. Happy Christmas Patrick, you deserve every micron of comfort, support and love. Hope to see you and meet Ms. Kismet in the new year.

LiseBise said...

What a pair! Have a merry Christmas and see you next year!

Linda said...

Paddy... OMG!!!! Kismet isabsoltely adoreable and you look absolutely FANTASTIC and the picture of health and i so agree with the dog therapy. I couldn't go without my puppies! What a way to end 2009 for you and Kismet. You deserve all the love you will give each other. welcome to our family Kismet and David and Liz, thank you for giving my brother such a wonderful, joyful gift.
Love Libby and big Bouvier hugs to you both!0000000000000000000

Brenda said...

I think she looks adorable, Patrick. And that is from a non-dog lover. You look great. Merry Christmas to you. May 2010 by a great year for you.

Jeff said...

Hi Patrick.
I met Kismet in the summer. I fell in love with her right away. She is such a wonderful soul. She came into Animatch just after i started with them and i have been watching her updates for almost the last year. To see she now has such a great home fills me with such comfort. She had to wait a long time to get her chance, but it looks like the wait was well worth it. I look foward to seeing many more pictures and video's of her. Many you two be blessed with many many years of health and happines together.

jenszabo said...

Hi Patrick!
I'm not sure what touched me more, seeing Kismet in her new home or reading your story. I'm the volunteer coordinator with Animatch and I don't get a chance to work with the dogs. However I met Kismet quite a few times and everytime I pet her, nuzzled her & kissed her, I fell more in love with her. She truly is a special girl and to know that she has found her forever home with someone such as yourself, well, to be honest, I got teary eyed. My father in law passed away from Hodgkins and although I never got the chance to meet him, I know how destructive and devestating it can be. Congratulations for being on the road to recovery. I wish you & Kismet a long life of Health. Once you have that, everything else follows.... doesn't it?
Take care of you 2 & I look forward to seeing more updates.
All the best.
Jen :)

Blog Archive